Friday, August 10, 2007

Cooking Thai Food at home .You Can


Cooking Thai food at home - anyone can! Cooking Thai food is easy! A year ago I could not cook at all. I worked in office in Bangkok and did not have time to cook. Also I thought cooking was too difficult and I was afraid that I could not make it delicious

In Thailand I would eat out everyday because prepared food is very cheap and easy to find, day and night. But when I began planning a long trip to San Francisco this year to visit my American boyfriend I learned that going out to eat everyday in America would be expensive and difficult. Before I left Thailand my boyfriend, who loves Thai food, asked me If I could cook it and when I said, "No." I think he was a little disappointed. So just one week before leaving Thailand I bought a Thai cook book and asked my mom how to prepare a few Thai dishes. She is a very good cook! All my life I enjoyed watching her in the kitchen and did my small part by testing the flavors for her, but I was only concerned with the final product and never really learned how she made it to please my tastes so well


My first time cooking Thai food in America I made Tom Kha Gai - Chicken soup with coconut milk. Hey I can do it! It looked same as my mom cooked and wow! delicious! I couldn't belive that I made it myself. And my boyfriend, who has eaten Thai food all over the world, loved it! That made me happy and more confident to cook new dishes. And with my, now, husband doing the taste testing we have perfected some great meals that are easy, fast and use simple ingredients.


From my story I want to confirm that cooking great Thai food should not be a problem for anyone in America. I have only a small kitchen, small stove and not a lot of equipment. I can get most of the ingredients at the local supermarket and the rest in chinatown. Some ingredients may be difficult to get if you live far from a city, but you can use something else to replace them, order them online, or you can even leave ingredients out! Don't get too attached to the set recipes and flavor to your own tastes - you will have more fun! One of my favorite Thai dishes only takes a short time to cook. I can make streamed rice with Tom Yam spicy salad in 15 minutes. Now I can say that I love cooking Thai food and I am sure if you try do it yourself you will love cooking Thai food also.





No comments: